Instructor: Sabina Alkire
- Informational Analysis of moral principles
- Review – the choice of dimensions
- The problem of ‘missing data’
- Four survey instruments producing most MDG-type data
- Various search engines and initiatives to improve data
- Characteristics of internationally comparable data
- OPHI’s Missing Dimensions: Employment, Empowerment, Safety from
- Violence, Ability to go about without Shame, Psychological and Subjective well-being
[flashvideo title=Missing Dimensions Alkire image=wp-content/uploads/default_video.jpg file=wp-content/uploads/Missing-Dimensions-_SA.m4v /]
Download Video (large files)
[To save file, right click to “Save Target As” (Windows) or control + click (Mac)]
ALKIRE, S. (2007), “The Missing Dimensions of Poverty Data: Introduction to the Special Issue.” Oxford Development Studies 35:347-359.
ALKIRE, S. (2009) The MDGs: Multidimensionality and Interconnection. Background paper for DFID White Paper. Please see section 2.
DIPROSE, R. (2007), “Physical Safety and Security: A Proposal for Internationally Comparable Indicators of Violence.” Oxford Development Studies 35:431-458.
IBRAHIM, S., and S. ALKIRE (2007), “Agency and Empowerment: A Proposal for Internationally Comparable Indicators.” Oxford Development Studies 35:379-403.
LUGO, M. A.(2007), “Employment: A Proposal for Internationally Comparable Indicators.” Oxford Development Studies 35:361-378.
NARAYAN, D, CHAMBERS, R., SHAH, M.K. and P. PETESCH (2000), Voices of the poor: Crying out for change. New York: Oxford University Press for the World Bank RANIS, G., F. STEWART, and E SAMMAN. (2006). “Human Development: Beyond the Human Development Index.” Journal of Human Development 7(3): 323-358.
SAMMAN, E. (2007), “Psychological and Subjective Well-being: A Proposal for Internationally Comparable Indicators.” Oxford Development Studies 35:459- 486.
ZAVALETA, D. (2007), “The ability to go about without shame: a proposal for international comparable indicators on shame and humiliation.” Oxford Development Studies.