|Job Title: Director of Communications
Contact Details: Oxford Poverty & Human Development Initiative (OPHI)
Oxford Department of International Development
Queen Elizabeth House (QEH), University of Oxford
3 Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TB.
Tel: +44 01865 271915
Paddy Coulter is a specialist in media and development with over 30 years professional experience of international communications. He previously worked as Director of Studies at the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism at Oxford University, responsible for the Reuters Journalism Programme (2001/2007); Director of the International Broadcasting Trust (1990/2001; Deputy Director 1987/1990); and Head of Communications at Oxfam (1982/1987). Paddy is a Fellow of Green Templeton College, University of Oxford, heading communications strategy for the college’s Emerging Markets Symposium.
- Director of Studies at Oxford University’s Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism where he directed the international Journalist Fellowship Programme at Green College from 2001 to 2007;
- Director of the International Broadcasting Trust (IBT) www.ibt.org.uk from 1990 to 2001 (and Deputy Director 1987 to 1990) producing more than 100 television programmes on global development and the environment for BBCTV, ITV, Channel 4 and leading broadcasters around the world;
- Head of Media at Oxfam www.oxfam.org.uk from 1982 to 1987 where he was responsible for the development agency’s communications strategy.
- Chair of the international board of the freedom of expression and information body, ARTICLE 19 www.article19.org and a director of its Eastern African affilate
- Trustee of the Geddes Trust which seeks to promote Oxford undergraduate journalism www.geddestrust.org
- Visiting Fellow at the University of Bournemouth Media School www.bournemouth.ac.uk
- January 2000 – awarded OBE by Her Majesty’s Government in London for “services to development awareness”
- November 1999 – received the One World Award in London for producing the television documentary series on the World Bank, The Bank, the President and the Pearl of Africa
- September 1996 – received Gold Award of the United Nations Correspondents Association in New York for producing the television documentary series on the UN at 50, Under the Blue Flag
- “Digital Deprivation: New Media, Civil Society and Sustainability” co-authored with Cathy Baldwin. In L. Tragardh, N. Witoszek and B. Taylor (eds), Civil Society in the Age of Monitory Democracy. Berghahn, 2013, pp.82-110.
- “NGOs, Media and Public Understanding 25 Years on” interview with Glenda Cooper. In S.Cottle and G. Cooper (eds), Humanitarianism, Communications and Change. Peter Lang Publishing, 2015, pp. 79-89.